ogri

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Got the TShirt

The travel bug bit me at quite a young age, being born an Army brat I was used to the idea of moving around because my Father was posted to many different parts of the country,but by the age of 10 Dad had left the forces and we had settled in the small village where I spent my teens. This brought about a significant change as my grandfather now came to live with us,and I think that I got my love of traveling from him. In those days foreign travel was not as common as today and holidays were normally to the seaside in Britain, but he often holidayed in Europe and I was always fascinated by his stories of this and his overseas service both as a merchant seaman and with the Army.
My first foreign experiences were the result of a great idea by the now defunct British India Company, who had a number of ships that had been used as troopships and now with the British Empire shrinking they found themselves with ships to spare. In a moment of genius someone came up with a scheme to use these ships for educational cruises for school children, and I was lucky enough to experience 2 of these while at senior school. So by the age of 16 I had visited a number of places in Europe and also Casablanca in Morocco and Algiers.

When I met my Life Partner, H.B. I soon discovered that she had the same urge to travel and we have spent most of our Holidays in following the travel bug and have visited some of the most beautiful places, I will list a few that have left a lasting memory and if anyone would like to know more leave a comment and I will try to oblige.

Egypt, This is a country that can only be described as beyond belief the History and Mythology are completely enthralling.

Kenya, If you have only seen the wildlife shows on T.V. then you have seen about 10% of what Kenya has to offer.

Thailand, A country of ever changing Character from the opulence and grandeur of the Grand Palace in Bangkok to the tropical paradise of Koh Samui, from the tragic but inspiring War cemetery at Kanchanaburi(on the River Kwai) to the Golden Triangle where from your hotel room you can see not only the Mekong River but also three countries ( Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.)

Hongkong, they call NewYork the city that never sleeps,Hongkong is the city that does not even get sleepy. Nobody in H.K ever seems to slow down and the shops never seem to close. Yet it has a charm that wins you over.

There are still many places that we still want to visit, India, the Galapagos Islands, Japan and the west coast of America being only a few but time and money are always the problem,so if anyone has an odd million or so that they can spare give me a call.

1 Comments:

At 7:32 am, Blogger AGFH said...

I have always wanted to travel but have never seemed to find the time. Now that our daughter is grown you would think we had time, but now Ap0k is working all the time. He can't even take a day off for surgery without his phone and radio going off constantly.
Tell me more about Egypt. I have always dreamed of going there. I have also always wanted to go to England which to you probably sounds boring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home