ogri

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Weekend

I like to read, by this I mean Books, not newspapers as I discovered years ago that newspapers do not report news but will publish anything that will sell newspapers, as an example of this virtually all the "popular" U.K. papers are filled with stories involving soap operas, so called celebrities, and trivial garbage obout people that I do not know and do not wish to know about.
Books however are a different matter, it is not important if the volume is fact or fiction as long as the reader can make that distinction, some people,in my experience fail to do this and voice opinions based on fiction which can make for strange discussions.
Over the years Many authors have given me pleasure, both with factual and fiction. At times reality can be a bore so fiction of a speculative nature can be very entertaining, at other times the real lives and experiences of people are more to my taste.

Some of my favorite fiction authors .

Andrew Vachss, an author of a series of novels based around a character called Burke a sort of anti-hero who lives and works on the seedier side of life.

R.A. Heinlein, anyone who is into S.F. will need no introduction to this amazing author

Christian Jacq, Author of a number of books set in ancient Egypt.

Tom Sharpe, possibly the best writer of comedic fiction.

Tom Barling, Author of the Smoke series of books, london villians at their best.

I will list a few of the non fiction books that have given me pleasure.

Hell i was there,Elmer keith, the life story of a cowboy and hunter who lived in america from the last days of the wild west and died in 1984

Norman Wisdom's autobiography, this man has lived an incredible life.

Reach for the Sky, Douglas Bader Was my first hero and willl always inspire me to believe that no obstacle cannot be overcome.

But at the end of it all it does not matter what a person reads it just seems to me that the people that I connect with all read.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 pm, Blogger AGFH said...

I understand completely. I have a very large collection of books myself. 3 large bookcases full, and they are also stacked all over the place.
My collection, while varied, contains mostly old paperback pulp detective novels from the 40'-60's. Most have been out of print for 50 years or so. It's taken me years to gather these, and I am nowhere near done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home